Re: Some F21 Alpha impressions

On Sat, 2014-10-04 at 10:08 -0400, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

Hey Jonathan, thanks for the feedback.

>  - The main thing is that resume does not work in F21.  Things appear
>    to suspend just fine, but there is no response to pressing the
>    blinking power button.  I simply have to hold it until it powers
>    down hard and start over.

On my own Carbon with F21, suspend/resume seems to work fine, with lid
close, power button or systemctl suspend. Given that you seem to have
ruled out a kernel problem, I would point at systemd as the best
starting point for further investigation. Is your system using EFI for
booting ?

>  - Emacs is *totally* confused about its window size.  Any new window
>    comes up essentially full screen, but the sizes it shows when one
>    resizes indicates that it thinks its window is quite small - even
>    though text display works just fine.  F20 shows this too, it's not an
>    F21 specific thing.

Emacs is using GTK+ in 'interesting' way, things could certainly go
wrong here. My system is not hidpi, but if I manually force a scale with
GDK_SCALE=2 emacs, it seems to mostly work as I would expect it -
everything is twice as big (except for the content font - thats the area
where emacs is most special).

>  - The huge onscreen keyboard seems to be easy to provoke and hard to
>    make go away; this does seem to be new with F21.  Is there any way to
>    just turn that off? I like my touchscreen, but it's permanently
>    attached to a physical keyboard a few cm away; I will *never* want
>    the onscreen one.

To make it go away, use the keyboard button in the lower right corner.
Of course, having it come up unexpectedly is not great, and we need to
improve this.

Sadly hardware is very variable, and there are flip-over laptops where
the keyboard might be physically hidden from you (by the flipped-over
touchscreen), but still be very much present as a usb device.

As a workaround in the short term, disabling the gnome-settings-daemon
cursor plugin will prevent the OSK from being shown:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false

>  - Whatever happened to the ability to associate actions with mouse
>    button events?  That seems to be gone in F20 too?  Is that another
>    one of those things we're not supposed to worry our pretty little
>    heads about anymore?

What actions do you mean here ? I could imagine at least 2 things you
might mean here - first, the modifier-click to trigger wm actions on the
content of windows or second, various titlebar click actions.

For the first, the modifier we use changed from Alt to Super (that was a
while ago, though, might have already been in F20. The rationale for
this change is to establish Super as the sole modifier used for 'system
actions', and leave Alt/Ctrl/Shift to applications. To change things
back, you can use the tweak tool. In the Windows tab, there is a "Window
Action Key" control that lets you switch back to Alt.

For the second, the same tweak-tool tab has a 'Titlebar Actions' section
which can configure clicks in the titlebar. In F21 final, these settings
will apply in the same way to CSD windows and traditional titlebars
(this change is probably not yet in the alpha image you tried).