Re: Freezing and corruption issue with Radeon 6670

> Hi Guys,
>
> I've been sitting on this one for a while as I was just hoping it would
> get fixed, but after trying the 21 alpha release its still an issue so I
> thought I'd try get it some attention.
>
> Any I have an issue that makes Fedora 20 and 21 unusable with my Radeon
> 6670. As soon as fedora boots up (including login and the screen with
> the little fedora icon loading) I get a corrupt display. See:
> http://imgur.com/gFrNoRh
>
> Eventually this issue causes the system to freeze. The freezing happens
> even quicker when booting a live image.
>
> I have the same problem in Ubuntu so its not only a Fedora issue but I
> solve it there running Catalyst.
>
> I've also tried to find reports of people having the same issue but
> haven't found any. The card is a PowerColor Radeon 6670 1GB.
>
> I'm happy to diagnose further. And report bugs upstream, but thought I'd
> start here and see where people think I should start.

Hi Tim,

I have Radeon R9 270 at home and it's working great with the open source drivers (except for an occasional failure to resume the system).
I think the best place to go and ask for help is #radeon channel on freenode. Every time I tried to resolve some issue, people there helped me.

You can also gather some kernel logs (if there's anything interesting there) and report a bug into freedesktop bugzilla. But I'm never sure about the right component, the driver itself is split into several pieces, like xorg/driver/radeon, or dri/drm/radeon. You should get more appropriate advice on the #radeon channel.

It's also a good idea to boot some old Live image (F19, F18) to verify whether it really is a software change, or maybe a hardware problem (it would be weird if catalyst didn't show it, that's true, but maybe it's using different code paths, stressing different components).

Hope that helps,
Kamil