Re: gnome-terminal in F21 has no TAB feature

Andre Robatino <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:

> According to
> http://worldofgnome.org/opening-a-new-terminal-tabwindow-in-gnome-3-12/ ,
> this is a deliberate change. You have to go into Edit/Preferences/General to
> control whether "Open Terminal" opens the terminal in a new window or a new
> tab, if you want to use the menu item (or use the hidden keyboard shortcuts
> to choose either one, if you can discover them). I didn't think the original
> menu was that bloated.

What's really strange is that there's now Ctrl-Click to make the opposite
choice of what "Open Terminal" is set to do by default. In particular, if
you have the default choice of opening in a new window, and hold down the
Ctrl key while choosing "Open Terminal", it opens in a new tab instead. I
thought the whole point of menus was that they were supposed to be
discoverable - you learned to use a new application by first using the menu
items, which showed you the associated keyboard sequences, then advanced to
using the key sequences later. If someone is familiar enough with the
application to know about the nondiscoverable behavior, they won't be using
the menus anyway, so why make them act like that?