Re: [Test-Announce] naming schemes

On Mon, 2014-09-08 at 03:48 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-09-07 22:27 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:
>
> > On Sun, 2014-09-07 at 13:27 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> On 2014-09-07 09:41 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> >> All naming schemes that include underscores suck, and for more than one reason.
>
> > Well, that was constructive. You could perhaps suggest some?
>
> If I knew why someone thought 21_Alpha_TC6 was better than F21a-TC1 and
> 21-Alpha-TC3 I could do better. I never put underscores or whitespace in
> filenames or directory names. Names of downloads that do either get trashed
> or renamed. What's wrong with 21AlphaTC6, kdeRuntimeLibs or
> googleDroidSansMonoFonts, all of which can be pronouced without a bazillion
> extra syllables? Un-der-score, multiply? Why does anyone do that? Can anyone
> type an underscore without looking at the keyboard? Underscores for most
> purposes (not all), are _booby_traps_ (only after clicking send will I know
> if they produced the result I want).

To separate the individual elements, so you can parse the string
reliably. In the string 21AlphaTC6 how do I know where the release
number stops and the milestone starts and the milestone stops and the
compose type starts, without a lot of hardcoded special sauce knowledge
in the parser? The function of the - and/or _ are to act as separators
to make parsing the string easier and more reliable.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey