Re: Evaluating MozTrap as a TCMS for Fedora QA

On 2014-08-13 14:48, Amita Sharma wrote:

We spent a few hackfest hours at Flock doing a preliminary evaluation of
MozTrap. We certainly didn't make any decisions yet, but we at least
span up some test instances and played around with it a little. So far
we've found some really nice things, some that seem a bit awkward or
messy, and some where we might need to send some patches (e.g.
integrating with FAS / OpenID).
Heya,

Can we get details of nice things and messy things or is it all what
piratepad contains?

Yeah, the piratepad was basically the notes for the session. I believe we put all the things we noticed in there. If any of the notes is hard to understand ("you had to be there" :>) ask and one of us will explain, if we can remember.

We used a Piratepad to take rough notes during one of the hackfests:
http://piratepad.net/FedoraMozTrap

We also chatted to some of the upstream developers, who are available in
#moztrap on Mozilla IRC, and they seem open minded and willing to take
suggestions and patches, which is great.

Mike and Tim I think are planning to set up a sandbox deployment in "The
Cloud" somewhere - something quick and dirty and not suitable for
production, just available so we can play with the system in a shared
deployment.

will that be open for every one use?

That was basically the idea. I don't know if we'd set it up for open registration or just do manual account creations for anyone on test@ who wanted to play with it, but yeah, the idea was to let all of us mess around with an instance.

In the meantime, if you want to check it out, it's pretty
easy to set up a local deployment following this guide:

http://moztrap.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installation.html

what you get is not remotely suitable for opening to non-local access
(it's very insecure and would give poor performance) but it works fine
for local testing.

I tried to set it up on one of my F20 VM, but flunked, troubleshooting yet.

What did you have trouble with? IIRC the instructions are wrong at one point, about where you create the virtualenv - you should do it in the *top level* moztrap dir, i.e. do 'git checkout' and then 'virtualenv moztrap', not cd into moztrap before doing the virtualenv. I went back and forth on that one for a bit. But that's from memory, I might possibly be wrong.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey