Re: Torvalds & GCC 4.9

On 07/27/2014 12:11 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:32:49PM -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
Phoeonix.com is reporting that Linus has found a code generation
error in 4.9 and has switched back to 4.8.
The bug existed from 4.5.0 up, so switching back to 4.8 is a weird
solution.

Since Fedora has been including 4.9 in F21 for some time,
one would like to know which compiler is used for compiling F21.
This bug is fixed in gcc-4.9.1-2.fc{21,22} already, and given that it has
been reported only after a few years since the bug has been introduced, it
is not very likely to trigger on other code.

Caould some of the strange problems I've seen with F21 be
caused by GCC 2.9 code generation error(s)???
Have you filed bugs if you suspect gcc problems?

	Jakub
I have not seen GCC related bugs in the software I wrote,
but then my usage of C is not very subtle.

I was wondering if some of the recent problems which come and go, such as
installs with anything but Gnome failing to boot to a desktop.
Saturday's rsync had this problem, Friday's was OK in this respect.

--
     Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com