Re: /var/log/messages is scrambled!

On 02/27/2014 08:08 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 07:10 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 02/27/2014 06:43 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

On Feb 26, 2014, at 9:24 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

sudo journalctl --verify
all say 'PASS'

OK good news. It looks like some sort of throttling by rsyslogd. I'm vaguely curious if it's some runaway/annoyed process is dumping a lot of message into the journal, and whether the journal can keep up or if it's also affected and throttles.

Could it be (wild guess), rsyslogd and journald when being used
simultaneously, are having locking issues?

I really doubt it. The current rsyslog is explicitly designed to act as
a journald consumer. That was the intent all along.

How about log-messages on the console?

The symptom I am struggling with is my console is freezing when journald sent a message to the console.

Some weeks ago, I reported the details on some fp.org list (IRC users@), but never received a satisfactory reply. So far, after weeks of struggling my (so far seeingly working) work-around is to "yum remove rsyslogd combined with "dmsg -D", without knowing the actual cause.

Ralf