Re: rfc: expectations for partitioning, Fedora.next

On Feb 21, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 10:54 -0600, Dan Mossor wrote:
>
>> I've been pondering this, and I have an idea that I borrowed from the
>> enemy (M$). When you install anything in Windows land - including the
>> OS, IIRC - you are given a choice: default install, or custom.
>>
>> Why can't we set anaconda up this way, say, at the initial boot where
>> you're given the choice to check the media or install. Set one more
>> option there, let the options be:
>> Install Fedora to this system (default, guided installation)
>> Install Fedora to this system (custom, manual selection *WARNING - AT
>> YOUR OWN RISK*)
>> Check this media and install Fedora to this system (default, guided
>> installation).
>>
>> Then in the "easy" path, the user is given two choices - standard
>> partitions or LVM (or btrfs if Chris gets his way). We test these as the
>> "#1 critical must work" selections. Anything in the manual path is
>> either in between or bonus.
>
> We already have that choice, only it happens at the appropriate point
> (the Installation Destination spoke).

We don't really have that choice because the Windows default path is the choice to not be further molested with additional,  superfluous, and undefined options. Our easy path is more complicated than the Windows custom path.

The distro should present a recommendation, as in one, when using the Automatic/guided/easy path, and spare the user from nonsense options. I'd even suck it up in favor of the technically meritless and user hostile LVM layout as the default if it means no other options.

Chris Murphy