Re: F20 and Rawhide: Headless install and enabling VNC

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:13:28PM +0100, Robert M. Albrecht wrote:

> But is there any official way to enable VNC on a headless server ?
>
> I can ssh to this machines, but how do I access this machine via VNC ?
>
> I can enable VNC in the Gnome Control Center if I connect a monitor,
> but how do I enable this via ssh ?

If you install tigervnc-server it comes with
/usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service
This has a header comment which starts like that:

# The vncserver service unit file
#
# Quick HowTo:
# 1. Copy this file to /etc/systemd/system/vncserver@.service
# 2. Edit <USER> and vncserver parameters appropriately
#   ("runuser -l <USER> -c /usr/bin/vncserver %i -arg1 -arg2")
# 3. Run `systemctl daemon-reload`
# 4. Run `systemctl enable vncserver@:<display>.service`
#
(and quite a bit more of relevant informations).  I did not try that
myself but I do not see why this should not work.

> /etc/sysconfig/vncserver seems to be gone since F19 ?

Yeah; systemd actually allows to pass various configuration details via
"enviroment files" but a general tendency and apparently heavily
encouraged is to make this "copy and edit".  Personally I am finding
that quite idiotic and detrimental to a long run maintenance.  With an
every update you should check now if something did not change you need
to take care of.  Multiply that by a number of such "hand configured"
services and here you are.  An alternative is configure such a thing
once, forget it, and try to guess what is happening when in the future
something goes screwy.

   Michal