Re: Did anyone's F20 system randomly "reboot" after updating from updates-testing just recently?

On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 23:03 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 04:16:43PM +1100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > I know
> > I can probably fix it removing each package individually etc, but it'll
> > take me less time to wipe and reinstall everything.
>
>    package-cleanup --cleandupes
>
> does such removals in one transaction.

I don't want to be too categorical about it, but I deeply distrust that
option. IIRC, the one time I tried to use it, I found that what it does
is really *remove* packages, which is almost never what you want if you
have dupe problems - that is, if you have both 'foo-1.0-1' and
'foo-1.0-2' registered as 'installed' and you run 'package-cleanup
--cleandupes', what seems to happen is you wind up with 'foo-1.0-2'
registered as 'installed', but *all the files are gone*, or something
similarly ridiculous. It was badly broken, anyway.

I still stick to the old routine for dupe fixing: 'rpm -e --justdb
--noscripts (older_version)', then an 'rpm -V' on the newer version, and
'yum reinstall' it if it seems to be broken. Usually does the trick for
me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey