Re: Fedora 20 release day FedUp bug: post-mortem

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 03:40 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-12-30 00:05 (GMT-0800) Adam Williamson composed:
>
> > thanks for reading this far? :)
>
> It seems to me like FedUp is a response to an unasked question. I've never
> used it yet, always either installing anew, or using Yum to install the
> target fedora-release(/fedora-release-rawhide) package(s), followed by yum
> upgrading basics like dracut, glibc, yum, rpm, udev, systemd & selected
> others before doing a global yum upgrade. Whatever failing the veteran Yum
> alone this way might have, I'm not seeing.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove is the obvious recent
example. It is not practically possible to achieve a change like that
within the packaging system.

One way of looking at things is really just that fedup is a yum upgrade
wrapped in the minimum necessary wrapping to provide us with the ability
to hook in changes outside the packaging system. If you're going to do
that you may as well make it also do the upgrade 'offline', as fedup
does. But that's really about all fedup does: it really just boots to a
special systemd target and does 'yum upgrade', when you boil it down,
and allows us to hook in other operations in dracut if we need to.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey