Re: Recommended system requirements for f20 not sufficient?

On 12/18/2013 01:21 PM, Akshay Vyas wrote:
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/18/2013 08:03 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 15:03 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

Hi,
i just booted the live iso in a VM with 1G of memory and after I start
"Software" the VM locks up completely after a few seconds. Having "top"
open while starting "Software" shows very little free/cached RAM left
over before the system dies so I upped the RAM of the VM to 2G and with
that the problem disappears.

It looks like the 1G of RAM recommended on http://fedoraproject.org/
really aren't sufficient to run the basic stuff and this should be
updated to probably 1.5-2G RAM or at least 1G RAM + some swap.

Well, I did some testing during F20 cycle which seems to indicate F20
Shell takes up a lot more memory than F19 when using llvmpipe. We're not
sure exactly what's going on yet, I need to find time to circle back and
investigate, but I suspect '1GB in a VM' and '1GB on metal' will be
somewhat different experiences. 1GB is getting a bit thin for the
default desktop with the current typical requirements of GNOME, FF and
LO, though, yeah.

FWIW: F20 runs without many problems on 512k RAM:

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         508392 kB
MemFree:          127952 kB

# cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

However, this is a system on which Fedora was installed long time ago
gradually upgraded to f20.

Ralf

I tested all Desktop environments on my old PC with 1G (DDR1) and
found out that all DE's are working fine
except GNOME(Default DE) and KDE which gave me some issues(slows down
or freezes) when running Firefox,Chrome,GIMP etc

Keep in mind that he's specifically addressing the LIVE iso - since it has to load it's entire environment into a RAMDisk, it only makes sense that we should be advising 2GB+ for live environments. When there is storage media besides RAM available, you can run F20 on as little as the 512MB that Ralf is using.

--
Dan Mossor
Systems Engineer at Large