Re: Karma request: LibreOffice

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 14:35 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 09:03 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hi folks! can people please test and up-karma
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libreoffice-4.1.4.2-1.fc20 ? LO
> > is currently newer in F19 stable than F20 stable, and it's causing some
> > weird dep issues when people try to yum distro-sync to F20.
>
> We are seeing these issues ever since Fedora is around. Why hasn't
> Fedora's release process been fixed to prevent such incidents happen?

Fixed how?

The update was submitted to 19 and 20 simultaneously, with identical
karma thresholds. The update for 19 got karma faster and went stable
first. It's fairly common for F(N-1) packages to get newer than F(N)
while N is in pre-release freeze, and I don't see an easy viable way to
'fix' that without freezing N-1 as well, which stops people on N-1
getting updates.

The only 'solution' I can see is something more drastic like adjusting
our release tagging or version evaluation such that F(N) packages are
always considered newer than F(N-1) packages, but aside from the
inevitable disruptions involved in introducing such a change, it's not
100% clear it's even what we want - it's gotten suggested a few times,
and IIRC there are usually some dissenting arguments.

There's an ongoing conversation about whether fedup should effectively
do --distro-sync , which would resolve some of this kind of issue, but
probably not all.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey