Re: F18 up to F20 -- how?

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 02:42:16 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 19:44 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	I have several machines running F18, which I would like to change
>> to F20 by some sort of upgrade, rather than a fresh install. Can anyone
>> yet guess whether upgrading from a DVD, or using fedup, or yum, or some
>> other way is most likely to succeed with the least trouble?
>>
>> 	Among other possibilities, is an upgrade via DVD from F18 to F20
>> Beta, followed by yum updates at regular short intervals, any more or
>> less promising that fedup? (I've had very mixed experience with that.)
	[....]
> You got various replies, but to clear up one point, you can't really
> upgrade 'via DVD' from F18 to anything, at least not in the way I think
> you're thinking about.

	Yes, I was still taking it for granted that I could run Anaconda
from a DVD for any Fedora release, and get a choice of whether to upgrade
or install afresh. And I thank you heartily for the correction! These
changes often take some time to get to the likes of me, and I'd've fallen
into a real mare's nest if I'd tried it.

> The only 'officially recommended' upgrade method from F18 onwards is
> fedup. The installer's upgrade mode does not exist any more. fedup is
> essentially just a fairly thin wrapper around a 'yum update' which is
> performed in a special systemd target. You can feed it packages from a
> repository or from a DVD ISO, but it basically does the same thing
> either way (you'll have more, and newer, packages available if you use
> the repo approach).

	Yes, thanks again. After your post and Ed Greshko's, I did the
first machine in question using his "fedup --net 20"; it worked fine.

	In a senior moment beyond most, I just did it again on the same
machine (a Thinkpad T42). This time it got a list of non-extant groups
like the ones that've been posted for yum. (I haven't checked whether
they're identical to the list I got from yum directly, or to the one
posted.)
	[snipperoo]
> I don't know if there's any hard evidence as to whether it's better to
> do an 'incremental upgrade' (18->19->20) or a direct one (18->20), to be
> honest. I'm sure you can find anecdotal evidence for either. FWIW, I'd
> usually go with the direct approach.

	Hang on! Here goes!

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.