Re: Sharing EFS / EFI partition between Windows 8 and Fedora 20

On Oct 31, 2013, at 2:44 AM, Pedro Francisco <pedrogfrancisco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also know Windows 7 installer seems to balk when it sees two EFS;
> I'd venture a guess Windows 8 has fixed this, can anyone confirm?
>
> 2- Any quick way to test if it would break, on my particular machine,
> to have just one EFS with both Windows and Linux EFI boot files? Maybe
> add two similar Windows boot entries and see if one of them disappears
> after I boot Windows?

I'm not finding a UEFI spec proscription of more than one ESP per disk, but the behavior is unintended. The behavior of the firmware's built-in boot manager is OEM specific, so what might seem like a software bug can actually be "as designed" firmware behavior, including how it decides to display bootable OS's. It may be based on NVRAM entry, or parsing ESP contents, or some combination of the two. And this is perhaps the least frustrating part of UEFI.

Chris Murphy