Re: Gnome 3.10: Network UI missing from new system status area

John Morris <jmorris <at> beau.org> writes:

> Screen space is valuable so removing an icon that is 'always' there and
> isn't typically displaying useful information is sensible enough.

Possibly a dumb question, but doesn't space have to always be available for
the icon, whether it's displayed always or just some of the time? I mean, if
there was no available space to display a wired connection icon, and the
connection goes down, it would be impossible to show the "disconnected" icon
either. This looks to me like it's being done just as part of the whole
GNOME philosophy of minimizing the used screen space, even if it's already
90% unused, and it requires additional logic to identify when a GUI item
does or doesn't need to be displayed. (For example, display "Log out" if and
only if there is more than one user, OR more than one installed desktop, OR
the dconf setting says to always display it.)