Re: maintaining minimal

On 09/28/2013 01:38 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
That statement in conjunction with behavior I've observed seems to
indicate hard dependencies have been created for what on other distros
would be suggests. e.g., 'yum install konsole' results in 1 package plus
190 dependent packages to be installed, among them:

[snip]

yum install kcalc isn't quite so bad, 1 + 125, and yet it's ka ka that a
simple calculator needs qtwebkit, desktop search, firewire and sound
support installed.

If you're installing a KDE application, but don't have KDE installed, then why is it surprising that it's going to pull in a large part of KDE and its dependencies? I expect you would get a very similar result if you tried installing gnome-terminal. If you don't want that, then install something like xterm or one of the other terminal application that isn't tied to a large desktop environment.