Re: A different way of installing Fedora

On 2013-09-25 21:33 (GMT-0400) Gavin Flower composed:
On 26/09/13 13:26, David wrote:
On 9/25/2013 9:13 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
On 09/25/2013 05:45 PM, David wrote:
On 9/25/2013 7:19 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
Several of my machies have SATA hot swap ports.
These make it easy to use smaller drives as backup media.
I slipped that drive in my omen.com server and changed
the boot order to boot that drive.  I changed hostname and
domainname, restored some of my control files, and omen.com
was back on the air relatively quickly.
Sounds like a eclectic procedure and situation to me.
More clearly said? Name two other people with your situation please.

This a procedure, that I might like to do something like.
I suspect that there will be more than 3 people interested.

What good is a backup disk if it can't be substituted for a failed one? What you're talking about, taking the backup and making it primary in a different system, is a form of cloning that I've been doing for at least a decade. With DOS, OS/2, OS X & Linux, it's often an order of magnitude less painful and time consuming than a standard installation. My currently booted 24/7 OS/2 "installation" was made probably 10 years ago, and has survived at least 5 motherboards (starting with K6/2, currently Core2Duo) and as many or more HDs, in addition to the clones being temporarily hosted by yet other systems. I have too many Linux installations made via cloning to count, Fedora particularly (in spite of recent need for dracut-nohostonly installation for it work reliably), since I've never much liked any version of Anaconda I've used.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/