Re: Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

On 09/23/2013 05:49 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
Greetings you all

After bit of irc discussion there is a compelling reason to move
entirely away from Red Hat bugzilla as well as away from concept of
hosting our own.

Now it pretty much boils down to this.

1. Generic attitude of many maintainers is that reports either go to the
correct place ( upstream ) or they get their bugzilla ignored.
2. More often than not downstream maintainer as in packager does not
know the code at all so filling the bug downstream makes no sense since
it brings just unnecessary latency to the process.
3. Hosting our own bugzilla cost resources and does not solve 1. or 2.

I personally for many years have argued against this since to an
reporter it might mean having thousand of accounts  but given that we
are going through new fase and the times are changing in the linux eco
system I would like to get your opinion about we stop reporting
altogether in Red Hat bugzilla and report only directly upstream as in
kernel bugs to the kernel community, Gnome bugs to theirs, KDE to their
etc.

The obvious benefit of doing this is that our bugs might actually get
look at,dealt with as well as all that being done in a shorter time frame.

Thoughts and comment.

JBG

I have found Redhat bz more responsive, comparatively speaking, than upstream bzs. And, I certainly do not want the logistics involved in knowing numerous upstream bzs. Reporting to one place has worked for years even tho it is not perfect. Maybe implement a little technology that automatically forwards a bz as appropriate based on the package being reported on.

Please don't change the current method.

--
Regards,
OldFart