Re: user list

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 07:21:52PM -0700, Richard Vickery wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM, David <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 7/6/2013 9:02 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:

> >> of users to get into the system has been replaced by a bar. It's
> >> replacement is not so necessary for those of us who are familiar with
> >> Linux, especially if we boot into the text environment. I'm just
> >> thinking of other users that we may attract from other OSes.
> >>
> >> my 2 cents.
> >>
> >> Richard
> >>

> > Funny. Others have been bit*hing about the list for several release
> > cycles.  :-)

For security reasons, it's a bad idea, and that is why people complain.
Generally, in any non home-user environment, it isn't desirable for anyone
at a computer to see available user names.

One reason people complain is because RedHat has at times, blithely
put in Fedora-isms, which are often aimed more at the single user
laptop, into their RHEL releases, where some things can be inappropriate.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6