Re: F19 installer not giving an option for English GB (or UK)

On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 11:34 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 14/06/13 10:54, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 10:33 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:
> >> I actually live in New Zealand, not the US so I would prefer a different
> >> language for the desktop.  So since I am used to British spelling. I
> >> would like to be able to set the language for the desktop as English-GB.
> >>
> >> I think that the above should be remedied in F19.
> > Er, I see a "English (United Kingdom)" on the first page of anaconda,
> > and have done ever since the re-design.
> My treacherous eyes.
>
> I saw English US at the top, and no sign of English-GB nearby, so
> ASSuMEd it wasn't there!
>
> May I dare suggest that the English-US be put in its natural place? If
> it was, then my poor brain/eyesight would not have been confused.

It is in its usual place, but the pre-selected language - whatever it is
- is taken out of the scrollable list and presented as a special 'top
entry' (there is a horizontal line between it and the scrollable list
denoting this). If geolocation picks a different pre-selected language,
English (US) appears in the list with the rest, in the position you'd
expect it to be in. This is a standard GTK+ widget design, I believe.
The list itself is in alphabetical order, but it's a rather rough
alphabetical order - it doesn't seem consistent whether it's sorted
according to the native or Anglicised form of the name. So
'Deutsch' (German) is sorted with the Ds (not Gs), and
'Ellenika' (Greek) is sorted with the Es (not Gs), but
'Nihongo' (Japanese) is sorted with the Js (not Ns)...I think perhaps it
depends whether whatever library's doing the sorting is capable of
figuring out the appropriate alphabetical sort for the character set of
the native name of the language or not, and it can't for 日本語, so it
just gives up and goes with the Anglicised name. But I'm guessing.

> >> In fact the fine grain control of what is selected at installation has
> >> disappeared with the new system, and I think it should be reinstated.
> > This is too vague, I cannot tell what you mean.
> On the software selection spoke, you can select broad categories, but
> you can't pick & chose within those categories.
> In the old system: you were able, to some extent, to pick & chose within
> categories.

This is intentional and not going to change: the installer team just
didn't feel it made sense to spend a lot of time maintaining what was
essentially an entire graphical package manager in the installer
codebase. There are several of them in the distribution, after all. The
point of the installer is to deploy a functional system, and then you
can fiddle with your package set.

If you absolutely must deploy a specific package set, you can use a
kickstart; kickstarts can still specify the full range of stuff relating
to repos and package sets they've always been able to, including single
package granularity.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey