Re: bootloader "very slow installation" --Fedora 19 Final Test Compose 2 (TC2)

John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Sat, 08 Jun 2013 07:37:56
-0700:

>The database consists of a directory for each installed package, and
>each directory contains 8 symlinks for the attributes of that package.
>So if 1000 packages are installed then 9000 new files are created.

I can imagine a superior data base system that would support thousands of
transactions before a commit, instead of one transaction per commit.
However, I have zero enthusiasm for serious changes to yum without
real conviction they are necessary.

Nevertheless, 10 minutes times tens of thousands of Fedora installations
yields enough time for serious amounts of thumb-twiddling.

Might it be possible to defer construction of the yum database until
Firstboot?  At that time, yum (or some yum helper) could run concurrently
with useful activity to build the database.  If yum were invoked before
its database existed, it would have to build it.  Yum already has a
mechanism to keep two yum instances from simultaneous operation.