Re: going to F19 using fedora-upgrade

Hi,

This phase took more than two hours ... um, I guess we really need to speed up yum/rpm/underlying filesystem, if a clean F17 install on the same machine took less than 20 minutes :-/ ...

This is definitely due to disk slownes, especially laptops have usually 5400rpm drives.

eh?

how could you blame hardware when both things I'm comparing were *on the same mchine with the same disk*?

On SSD it took me 20 minutes to upgrade >2500 packages.

which only proves my point, unless you have a way too slooooooow SSD

with transfer speeds 100 MB/s or much more and almost zero access times, I'd expect less than five minutes

Not sure what kind of install you mean, maybe live CD may take such a short time?

network with local mirror ... which makes the comparison even more sad, as I counted the time to upgrade *without* getting the packages while the installation included the download time :-/

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team