Re: going to F19 using fedora-upgrade

On 05/29/2013 01:37 PM, Karel Volný wrote:
just FTR, yesterday I've tried to upgrade my laptop to F19.

I've chosen to use fedora-upgrade.

Note that I've run that in console, and I logged out from KDE a few minutes
after finishing the download, just when I noticed higher disc activity
indicating that yum started installing new packages.

This phase took more than two hours ... um, I guess we really need to speed up
yum/rpm/underlying filesystem, if a clean F17 install on the same machine took
less than 20 minutes :-/

Coincidently I upgraded my workstation F19beta today as well. Of course using fedora-upgrade too. It took even longer (3 hours at least). But I was able to work all the time. I run the fedora-upgrade in screen(1), so I started in GUI and in case the session manager will crash I can "screen -r" on console and continue there. But that was not even needed and I was able to work in GUI all the time. The actual time I was forced to spend on upgrade was 15 minutes resolving rpmnew and rpmsave files and one minute on reboot.

Great job, Mirek (and all the packagers making sure there are no troubles with
updating their packages)!

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Miroslav Suchy