Re: F19 alpha and VirtualBox

On 04/18/2013 01:49 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

I cannot run any application, including anaconda. Perhaps if I let it
sit overnight anaconda might display, but then I'd have to wait a week
for it to install at this pace.

I managed to get SSH running by starting in "3" and then switching to
"5". The process doing all the nothing is the loop device. The host
system is reporting very small I/O through iotop. Roughly 200kbyte/sec
reads of the ISO file every couple of seconds. I have tried switching
the CD device from IDE to SATA to no avail.

The problem is RAM.

I allocated 1 GB of RAM as my usual amount for any new VM. This works until X is started then it is bumping the 1GB limit. Any new app that is started is being OOM killed. Just sitting at a Gnome desktop consumes 950MB. I'm not happy about this increase in usage, but I'll save the complaining for another thread.

After bumping the RAM to 2GB I can get things rolling. The VM is still very slow, but the UI responds within about a minute after clicking on widgets. Anaconda is using about 500MB by itself, so 2GB may not be enough if this trend continues.