Re: headless installation of Fedora 19 Alpha TC5

On 10 April 2013 15:30, Laszlo Ersek <lersek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/10/13 23:20, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 04/10/2013 09:15 PM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> (... resending after subscribing to the list...)
>>
>> I have a workstation with
>> - ethernet connection,
>> - serial connection (with null modem cable),
>> - USB sockets,
>> - no optical drive,
>> - no display,
>> - no keyboard,
>> - no mouse.
>>
>> How can I install F19 Alpha on it?
>>
>> My partitioning needs are non-default, hence I think I'll need to run
>> anaconda in GUI mode via VNC over the ethernet connection. That's OK,
>> but I must see the initial grub menu over serial, and type in any
>> necessary boot params (for VNC) likewise. How can I do that? What boot
>> image should I use exactly, and what options should I specify when &
>> where?
>

> PXE + Kickstart install ?

Thanks for the suggestion! I guess I could try to set up a PXE server.

However I'm not considering kickstart. I kind of insist doing the
partitioning interactively; there's other stuff on the target disk that
I'd like to keep intact.

I would say that may not be the best system to test alpha with. I have not run into any bugs yet with it eating partitions but that doesn't say they aren't there. You can try a pxe+vnc install on the system but I don't know if it works or not. The kickstart can just say "Go use VNC" by the way and then have you choose all the things you want.

Would it be possible for me to rebuild an ISO with just a few mods here
and there in order to get serial IO upfront?

Thanks!
Laszlo

--
Stephen J Smoogen.