Re: lxde menu items causing X crash

On 04/02/13 12:21, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On 02/04/13 09:27 AM, Kevin Martin wrote:
>> Using lxde with openbox on rawhide and certain menu items under Preferences causes the following crash of X:
>>
>>   from process 3610 (kevinm@ktmtoshiba).
>> (EE)
>> (EE) Backtrace:
>> (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (OsLookupColor+0x129) [0x46e569]
>> (EE) 1: /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (__restore_rt+0x0) [0x7fc9e694ef9f]
>> (EE) 2: ? (?+0x0) [0x0]
>> (EE)
>> (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
>>

>> I am using the nVidia driver (primarily because I can't run the nouveau driver without setting '#Option     "NoAccel" "1"' in
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf and so screen painting is painfully slow on this machine and I've opened repeated bugzilla's about the nouveau
>> issue with no resolution).  A few of the menu items that cause the crash are Preferences -> Background and Preferences -> Color.
>
> I understand your frustration with the nouveau issue, but unfortunately, there's very little chance of us being able to fix an X
> server crash using the proprietary driver :/. The nouveau issue is the one to keep bashing at. I believe Ben's been busy with some
> non-bug-fix-y work lately, so the pace of bug fixing for nouveau has slowed down, unfortunately.

I'm unconvinced that it's a nouveau vs. nvidia driver issue that we're dealing with here but an openbox/lxde/xorg problem but due to
the fact that I'm using the proprietary driver nobody will actually look at the issue or try to determine if, in fact, nvidia is the
cause or not.  I would happily use the nouveau driver (and was using it until going to the 3.8+ kernel where it became virtually
unusable with noaccel turned on) but that driver is possibly buggier than the proprietary driver but gets useful updates less often
and *no* updates that appear to relate to any of the bugs that I've reported against it for over the last two years.

Kevin