Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 19 Alpha Test Compose 3 (TC3) Available Now!

On 29/03/13 12:04 PM, John Reiser wrote:
Early on 03/29/2013:
*IMPORTANT*: All DVDs and Lives with the exception of Live KDE and Live
SoaS are oversized, so will not fit on the standard media.

It would have helped me to add something like, "The pending fix for bug 923547
was used during construction of TC3, so all the Lives are now less than 1GB
and will fit on 1GB of USB flash memory (except Fedora-Desktop, which is 1.1GB)."

That wasn't intentionally the case; when I filed the TC3 fix I didn't believe there was a yum fix. I don't know if I filed before the yum fix showed up but Dennis composed after, or I was just unaware of the fix having been released at the time, or even if you're wrong and it wasn't built with the fix =) But it certainly wasn't *intentionally* built with the fix, in fact I'd been planning to try and do a TC4 with the fix this weekend sometime.

This also hints that the prior TC2 might have benefited from rolling back yum
to .fc18.

That would be a really bad idea: a) it's a bad idea in general to mix-and-match yum builds like that, and b) it doesn't seem like a good idea to try and work around issues in the F19 package set as part of the F19 testing process; the whole point of the TCs/RCs is to *expose* problems like this, not to try and hide them!

As of March 23, bug 923547 strongly implicated yum as the culprit.

Sure, we knew it was yum. But working around the problem using an F18 yum build wouldn't be a good way to go about things, because it's not like we can ship F19 or even the final Alpha with an F18 yum build.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey