Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 19 Alpha Test Compose 2 (TC2) Available Now!

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:20:16 -0700,
  John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/26/2013 07:10 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 00:17:35 -0400,
  Andre Robatino <robatino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
*IMPORTANT*: All DVDs and Lives are oversized, so will not fit on the
standard media.

Does anyone know the reason for this? I see this is likely breaking
the nightly compose of the games spin as well.

Unless there is a specific, identified, and quantified expansion to complain about,
then the reason for increased size is "Progress".

I think I am seeing a pretty big jump, so I was thinking it was more than just progress. It looks like the games spin nightly build is over 1GB bigger during the build (before compresion).

The use of xz/lzma for compression (instead of gzip/zlib) saved 15% to 30% in space
about a year and one-half ago.  Some spins soon expanded to use all available space.

I was involved with that. Some spins were going to be oversized without adding packages and the xz compression just got them back to where they had been the previous release.

The workaround for "too big to fit on media" is to remove selected packages.

Sure. Since the games spin includes the gnome-desktop spin I was wondering if this was something that was going to be taken care of there and I should just wait a bit or if I was going to need to drop a large game or two to get back to 4GB compressed.