Re: FreezeException process improvement - proposal

On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 07:05 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:

Using web form for FE proposals and skipping the bug evaluation until we
know somebody wants to work on it brings these benefits:

> 1. Less QA (and other stakeholders') time spent on blocker bug
meetings.
> 2. Faster turnaround for information-complete FE bugs.
> 3. Faster notifications for developers whether they can start working
on a particular bug or not.
> 4. Explanatory bugzilla comments with description of required steps
and links to detailed guides.
> 5. More transparent FE process because of better provided information.
>
> Possible drawbacks:
>
> 1. We need to set up another tracker bug if we want to follow FEs
suggested by users but not yet proposed by developers.

> Thoughts?

I can see where you're going with this, but I do have a few concerns.

I really don't want to rely on the web front end for blocker proposal.
At least not *yet*. Right now its status is that of an 'experimental
front end to existing processes'. We were pretty solid in discussions
(maybe more in person than on list, I don't recall) that the web app
should just do stuff you can also do manually: it's just a convenience.

Maybe in future if it works well and people are happy with it we can
start to refine the process in ways where 'manual' submission isn't
plausible and we have to rely on helper frontends like the webapp, but
I'm not sure we're at the point to start doing that yet. Especially
*now*, for Fedora 19.

You addressed this to some extent, but I'd like the proposal to be much
more specific and much less hand-wavy about the 'FreezeException as a
priority list' case. Practically speaking, we do not use the priority
field in Bugzilla at all; FE status does act as a somewhat useful proxy
for 'this bug is probably pretty important'. It's not meant to do that,
but it kind of does. We - that is, QA - should definitely be manually
eyeballing proposed FE bugs, even if we aren't formally evaluating all
of them.

Finally, I think some of the problems identified in your mail are more
F18 artifacts than ongoing things. My recollection is that we managed to
do NTH evaluation pretty well in cycles prior to F18: it was only due to
the massive blocker load in F18 that we got substantially behind on NTH
evaluation.

Still, I do think the proposal has some merits, but I kinda feel like it
needs a bit of tuning, and might possibly be more F20 than F19.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey