Re: F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 10:44 -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> On 02/01/2013 09:11 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > If you have 'nomodeset' on the cmdline, you must have either set it
> > yourself, or installed Fedora in 'Basic Graphics Mode', which causes
> > this to happen.
>
> The latter might have happened - I had various problems first copying
> my SSD to a new larger one, unexpectedly trashing grub when doing some
> partition re-arranging, and having to install F15 (! - the most recent
> CD I could find in a hurry) so I could boot and then download and
> burn F18.
>
> Though it seems a bug to set the installed default mode line to
> nomodeset based on whether one boots up the live DVD in basic graphics
> mode. Better to install the settings appropriate for the hardware
> *plus* some kind of "safe mode" in the grub menu.

I'm not sure I agree. The logic is that if the installer failed to work
in 'normal' graphics mode, it is very unlikely that the installed system
will either, as the two use the same graphics stack and in fact our
default desktop requires *more* functionality than the installer. It's
very unlikely that you'd need to use Basic Graphics Mode to make the
install run, but be able to use the installed system with your native
driver just fine.

Really the case where you use the option by mistake is about the only
one where it's not sensible behaviour.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey