Re: Telnetd broken

On 01/31/2013 07:08 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Karel Volný <kvolny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> How do you know?  As far as I can tell from the thread, no one asked and he
>>> didn't state.
>> from the original question:
>>
>> "Trying 192.168.1.15..."
>>
>> ... that doesn't look like in a public Internet address block ;-)
>  telnet omen.com
> Trying 70.89.176.169...
> Connected to omen.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow)
> Kernel 3.7.4-204.fc18.x86_64 on an x86_64 (9)
> men login:
>
> .... looks very public to me ;)

Well, you took the extra effort to see if his host was exposed.  Yet, that doesn't give insight to his case for needing it.

I suppose I approach things a bit differently.  In the case where I would see a person has exposed their system to a vulnerability I would ask them if they knew that to be the case and go from there.

In any event, a package supplied with fedora "should" work and clearly telnet service doesn't.  FWIW, the problem seems not to be in telnetd but actually in /usr/bin/login.