Re: fedup network download

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 04:14:30 -0500 (EST)
Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I have a few boxes that use a local repository that is rsync'd for
> > both
> > "fedora" and "updates". When I tried out "fedup --network" the tool
> > showed the names of my local repos. However, when it started package
> > downloads I noticed the speed to be 100k to 500k per second range.
> > This
> > would indicate that fedup is downloading from an Internet mirror
> > (6mbit
> > Internet) instead of my local mirror (gigabit network). I found,
> > through
> > "ss", that fedup is indeed connected to an FTP server on the
> > Internet (ftp-chi.osuosl.org).
> >
> > Is fedup hardcoded to use the default "fedora" and "updates" repos
> > even
> > if they are disabled?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael
>
> I don't know if Will Woods (the author) reads this mailing list. You
> can use --instrepo argument to force a custom mirror. Or you can use
> MirrorManager to have your private mirrors always at the top of the
> mirrorlist.

--instrepo does not change the mirror used for package sources - just
the mirror used to download the vmlinuz and initramfs used during
upgrade.

The process for determining the mirror to use for network upgrades is
slightly different - fedup goes through all of the repo definitions and
attempts to pass a newer $releasever into the repo definition (which
will get the right repo URL more often than not).

I thought that it respected "enabled=0" but I could be wrong. Please
file a bug if it keeps trying to use disabled repos as a base for
upgrading.

As a short term fix, I'd suggest a couple of things:
  1. Use --disablerepo= on the fedup cli to make sure that the right
     repos are disabled

  2. Either define your local repos on the cli using --repourl
     <name>=<url> or re-do the url to use $releasever so that they're
     properly modified and pulled in

Tim