Re: kernel headers

On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 19:32 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

<snip...>

> ...Looked again at this. It's actually not quite what's needed. It says
> to make a symbolic link from:
>
> /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h

> /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/linux/version.h
>
> only problem is that this first directory doesn't exist in Fedora from
> what I can see. the file is actually located in:
>
> /usr/src/kernels/<kernel-version>/include/linux/version.h
>
> Is this a departure in Fedora from the stock kernel 3.7 series? I'll bet
> this is really messing with VMware's scripts if it is. Since I am not
> running Kernel 3.7 at the moment and don't have time to do so now, we'll
> need someone else to have a look at this. I'm sure it's probably an easy
> fix.

More info from Lawrence Graves (apologize for the cross-post in threads,
but I thought it was important to keep this on the initial thread...)

<paste>
this is the results of trying to apply the fix to kernel headers problem
I am experiencing.
[root@Jehovah ~]# ln
-s /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/linux/version.h
ln: failed to create symbolic link
‘/usr/src/linux-3.7/include/linux/version.h’: No such file or directory
[root@Jehovah ~]# vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
gcc and kernel headers must be installed
[root@Jehovah ~]#
ln  /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/linux/version.h
ln: accessing
‘/usr/src/linux-3.7/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h’: No such
file or directory
[root@Jehovah ~]# ln
-s /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-3.7/include/linux/version.h
ln: failed to create symbolic link
‘/usr/src/linux-3.7/include/linux/version.h’: No such file or directory

</paste>

This confirms what I was reporting before. The referenced directory
structure reported as a kernel 3.7 fix will not work with the current
3.7 series kernel in updates-testing.

Combine this with that Workstation works fine on the 3.6 series kernel
using the same overall directory structure leads me to that the symlink
needs to be adjusted to fit the F18 kernel development directory tree,
at least as a temporary work-around.

Also note that the appropriate version.h file for kernel 3.6 is indeed
found in:

/usr/src/kernels/3.6.11-3.fc18.x86_64/include/linux

Put that all together and I suspect that the actual issue isn't so much
the different tree structure - it's consistent on F18 between the 3.6
and 3.7 series kernels. Rather, something has changed in the
updates-testing kernel package which is causing the Workstation scripts
to not be able to properly traverse the tree to find what they need.

Hope that makes sense! As mentioned, I believe an appropriate symlink
will provide a work-around, but we should look at both the development
packages and the workstation scripts to evaluate where the most
appropriate fix should go. I'm sure this won't be the only package that
has this issue.

Unfortunately, since I'm getting on another airplane today, I won't have
much more opportunity to look at this for a while. Hopefully someone
else will be able to pick things up from here...

Chris

--
Christopher A. Williams <chriswfedora@xxxxxxxxxx>