Re: What has changed and/or how to control

On 12/22/2012 01:52 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 22:29:18 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>>> It's an optional extension to search for missing commands in remote
>>> repositories (via PackageKit). Many users uninstall it because it
>>> has caused side-effects, such as delays or altered messages or it
>>> fails always because the default search time limit is too low.
>>>
>>> If the problem is not reproducible with PackageKit-c-n-f installed,
>>> the problem is _not in that_ package.
>> I suppose I don't quite understand your meaning.....
> Okay, another try:
>
>> There is no command "八" on the system.
> True.
>
>> So, just like
>>
>> [egreshko@localhost ~]$ adsfadsf
>> bash: adsfadsf: command not found...
>>
>> Returns the actual "command name" as typed, I expect.
>>
>> [egreshko@localhost ~]$ 八
>> bash: 八: command not found...
> True, but F18 does not do that, because there is a bug somewhere.
> I can reproduce it here, too.

What do you mean "does not do that"?  What I am showing above *is* on an F18 system.
>> With PackageKit-c-n-f installed that is what I get....
>>
>> With PackageKit-c-n-f removed I get....
>>
>> [egreshko@localhost ~]$ 八
>> bash: $'\345\205\253': command not found
>>
>> So, installing it gives me what I expect/want.  Therefore, I can't see why my conclusion is wrong.
>>
> Installing that package is _not_ supposed to fix it as in "a package
> is not installed, install it to solve the issue". It is not the
> package's responsibility to fix the (mis)behaviour. It is just a
> workaround due to side-effects caused by what PackageKit-c-n-f does
> when it intercepts a "command not found" situation (and queries repos).
> You may like it that your system does not show the described symptoms
> anymore with the package installed, _but_ the actual bug (or undesired
> behaviour) is still alive somewhere outside PackageKit-c-n-f.
>
> The reason I asked about PackageKit-c-n-f is not because installing
> it should fix the problem. I thought that PackageKit-c-n-f might the
> culprit and that uninstalling it would solve the issue. However, this
> time it's the opposite. ;)

Well, guess what.  If I erase PackageKit-c-n-f from an F17 system I get the same "problem".

[egreshko@f17x ~]$ uname -r
3.6.9-2.fc17.x86_64
[egreshko@f17x ~]$ 五
bash: $'\344\272\224': command not found

So, I'm guessing that the $'\344\272\224' is the standard bash response and that it is PackageKit-c-n-f interception which is resulting in it being "fixed".

So, nothing has changed between F17 and F18.  It was only the fact that a LiveCD-KDE install did not include PackageKit-c-n-f.

So, there is no bug for my issue just a "cure" which happens to be PackageKit-c-n-f .