Re: F18 final release criterion #9, Windows

On Dec 13, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In newUI, it's simply The Size You
> Get, you have no option to set a bigger size (unless you're in custom
> part. I think. I haven't actually checked yet that custom part lets you
> specify a size, but I'm assuming it does, so far.)

In custom (Manual Partitioning):

1. An existing Windows 7 install appears under "Unknown". I know this was fixed for Fedora 17/18 installs, but it's apparently not fixed for existing Windows 7 installs.

2. Next I have to guess what to do, because it's not obvious. I guess to click on the largest partition, and guess to change "Desired Capacity" to something else, but I get no feedback on how low I can go because there's no numerical or graphical indication of how much of this partition is used by Windows (programs, data, etc.).

3. Then lots of clicks to add relevant partitions for Fedora. Installs fine, no errors.

Result: Windows boots to a file system check window, which takes about 5 minutes on a volume with nothing but the OS on it, on an SSD. It reboots again, and I do get to Windows where things appear to be fine.

Room for UX improvement for sure, but it does work.

> The problem with introducing a concept of what's 'safe' for a 'Windows
> partition' is those are two somewhat squishy concepts we don't currently
> really have. anaconda's resize function isn't really considering
> 'Windows partition' and 'Linux partition' and 'data partition' and
> whatever. It just sees partitions. A partition's a partition. So your
> suggestion would involve trying to tell the resize algorithm when it's
> dealing with a 'Windows partition' and when it isn't, which seems like
> possibly unwarranted complexity. The concept of 'safe' is similarly
> rather complex - how much free space *is* safe for a Windows install? Is
> it the same for all Windows installs? To what extent is it a factor of
> the Windows version, the size of the disk, etc?

Fair enough although the present behavior is distinctly not ever safe. Anything would be an improvement, albeit perhaps still inadequate.

What I was thinking was that between the knowable Windows partition size, and ntfsresize's computed minimum shrink, the difference is free space. In fact, the first Reclaim space modal dialog suggests an amount that can be reclaimed from NTFS. The 25% I refer to is 25% of that free space. If 25% of that free space is still not enough for Fedora (plus some headroom), then "guided" reclaim space can't work for the user's situation. This can be computed and determined before the first Reclaim space modal dialog is displayed.

> oldUI didn't do any of this, it just gave you a range from 'current
> size' down to 'smallest viable size' and let you knock yourself out. I
> think that behaviour would still be okay for newUI.

That's probably preferable in that it's long standing behavior.

My comments about automatically figuring out what to set it to, is in the event there really will be no ability to add user a specified size UI to "guided" reclaim space for Windows users. If it is going to be one-size-fits-all, it must be safe at least for Windows. If a safe one-size-fits-all function can't be achieved, then the shrink functionality needs to be yanked from Reclaim space UI.

Chris Murphy