Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 21:40 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 12:11:47 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > Er, I think we have some "+" confusion going on here. The + being
> > referred to is the big + button at the bottom of the pane. The small +es
> > next to 'Fedora 17 x86-64', 'Ubuntu 12.04' or whatever are just
> > expanders: they open up each group. The big + button at the bottom of
> > the pane creates a partition.
>
> The '+' button you mean is for creating mount-points. Yes, mount-points,
> too. The button opens a small dialog where to enter the mount-point and the
> desired "capacity". Mount-points not partitions. It even says so everywhere
> related to that dialog. ;)

Yes, it's a bit messy, isn't it: the text is talking about the big +,
but the big + is for creating *partitions*, not mount points. It's
certainly a bit confusing to have text that talks about 'creating mount
points', but the two actual viable operations are to 'set a mount point'
or to 'create a partition and give it a mount point'.

We could probably clean up the terminology there somehow.

> > The mount points displayed within each existing OS group are the mount
> > points *within that OS*. Each of those groups is basically representing
> > that OS to you.
>
> Okay. That's the place where I transferred old mount-points from the
> older Fedora 18 (Alpha or Rawhide) installation to the New Fedora 18-Beta
> target. I'm not aware of any other place where to do that, nor any more
> convenient way how to reuse existing partitions/volumes/whatever or
> mount-points.

Yes, and this is another confusing bit: the left hand pane shows you the
mount point *within the old OS install*, while the 'Mount Point' text
box in the _right_ hand pane lets you assign the partition a Mount Point
*for the new OS install*.

I can see how this is confusing if you don't know what's going on. If
you know that the left hand pane is trying to tell you your current
layout, while the right hand pane gives you options for the new layout,
it kind of makes sense, but if you don't know that, it's rather fuzzy.

> > We're currently discussing ways of clarifying the whole layout and
> > intent of the left-hand pane.
>
> Good idea!

Still working...I have a hilariously amateur gimp mockup I'm going to
post a bug for in a minute.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey