Re: off to a nostart F18B start

On Dec 1, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Peter Gueckel <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>> Is there any other UI on the planet where
>> where a done or OK button is at the upper left?
>
> I guess you're not a KDE user ;-)
>
> SystemSettings has a button with a back arrow, which effectively has
> the same function as the 'done' button -- in the upper left corner!

OMFG kill me now. Another person comparing the travesty of the Done button with actual coherent user interface…

An anaconda dev used Gnome System Settings and OS X System Preferences as a defense for the Done button location too. But this is a great example of spatially challenged people building GUI navigation.

1.  Those other UI examples aren't squeezing their respective button amongst a lot of other unrelated clutter. Anaconda wedges the Done button very tightly amongst a lot of unrelated text. The other examples use clear demarkation in gradation, color, or a line, separating navigation from non-navigation areas.

2. Those other UI examples do not leverage diagonally split navigation. Anaconda does, as if someone is sneezing as their means of determining where to place navigation elements. This is like putting the steering wheel in the trunk. Or a web browser forward button on the lower right side of the browser, leaving the back button on the upper left. That would be stupid, wouldn't it? There is no nice way to say this!

3. The other UI examples don't context switch user setting preservation. Anaconda does. Anaconda's upper left button *preserves* user settings when it's the Done button. But when it becomes the "Back to destination selection" button in Manual Partitioning, it *discards* user settings. If you don't understand that changing button text alone does NOT completely change its functional meaning, that location is relevant to the behavior of the button, then start now.

The Done button example is about as basic as blatantly bad UX gets. If you don't get how bad it is, maybe consider UI/UX is not your strongest subject matter.

Chris Murphy