Re: F18 still nukes Windows XP.

On 11/23/2012 07:46 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

On 11/23/2012 01:10 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
I reinstalled XP on the test machine, then installed F16 64 bit
along with it.  I then installed 64 bit F16 and copied the whole
XP partition to a disk file.   Then I rebooted to XP and all
was well.

Finally I installed RC1 64 bit.  Now XP fails with BSOD.
This was with an Elitegroup nforce6m-a and AMD 6000.

I performed a similar procedure on a different machine,
a Gigabyte GA-P%%A-UD3 with Intel I5 CPU.  First installed XP,
then 32 bit FC16, then the beta RC1.  On this machine,  XP
still boots and runs after installing Fedora 18.

I did another experiment on the Elitegroup machine.
I reinstalled XP into a 2GB partition.  XP booted and ran.  I then installed
Fedora 16 and rebooted back to XP, which was still alive and well.
I rebooted to F16 and copied the XP partition to a disk file.

I installed F18 from today's rsync.  For some reason I was unable to
sudo or log in to root.   I rebooted to F16 and made another copy of
the XP partition. That copy was identical to the previous copy.

I rebooted to XP and got the same old BSOD as reported before.

I then rebooted to F16, removed the F18 partitions, and restored the
XP partition from the disk file.  I also reinstalled the F16 bootloader.
I was able to boot and run XP again.

It appears XP doesn't like to see a F18  setup, much as an older Fedora
could not tolerate a freebsd partition's existience.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com