Re: Problems 'removing nouveau' in fed 18

On 11/20/2012 06:45 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
The standard ways of getting rid of the nouveau driver (up to Fed 17)
do not seem to work anymore in Fed 18:

   add 'rdblacklist=nouveau' to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub
   (and/or add 'blacklist nouveau' to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf) and
   then run grub2-mkconfig and dracut.

The only way I found to change initramfs with dracut was to use
'dracut --omit-drivers nouveau' but this does not survive a kernel
update.

How should this be done in Fed 18 or are there bugs in grub2-mkconfig
and/or dracut. Any special considerations when booting UEFI (grub2-efi).

I need this because I am using 'bbswitch' to shutdown the discrete
nvidia in an optimus laptop (2x longer battery live and machine runs
much cooler).

[It would be nice to have a working vgaswitcheroo so you do not need
  out-of-tree kernel modules].

Alexander

Try 'nouveau.disable=1' in place of 'rdblacklist=nouveau'.

-Mike