crontab shutdown as (regular user or root su-) not working

Dear fellow testers & devs.,

I have a special crontab which shuts down the computers at a specific time, ie.,

30 15 * * 1-5 /usr/sbin/poweroff > /dev/null 2>&1

but the machine does not shutdown :(

I have tried the following but as su - and added the following crontab:

# min hour  day-of-month  month  day-of-week  command
30    15        *           *        1-5        /sbin/init 0 > /dev/null 2>&1

and the machine does not shutdown :(  either.

How can I make my machines shutdown automagically at 3:30 every weekday (1-5)?
Does the new startup system interfere with basic shutdown of machines?

Also on some machines, I see poweroff as
/usr/bin/poweroff
and on others
/usr/sbin/poweroff

Is the command different on different systems?
It used to be the same before.

And to shutdown the machine from menu, I get prompted for root password.  How can I eliminate that hassle?  Running Gnome desktop btw in case it is important.

Thanks,

Antonio