Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 8 (TC8) Available Now!

> Personally, I think it should be supported since the https overhead
> is
> not huge and it's a good thing generally for people to be using https
> (I
> have mozilla-https-everywhere installed). And according to
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/149274/http-vs-https-performance
>
> "Bottom line: making lots of short requests over HTTPS will be quite
> bit slower than HTTP, but if you transfer a lot of data in a single
> request, the difference will be insignificant."
>
> which is certainly the case for large ISO files.

Well zsync downloads just the differences using custom-range requests. I don't know whether they count as a single connection in HTTPS or as a large number of small data transfers.

If HTTPS is really a problem, then zsyncmake should either plainly refuse to create such metadata, or print a warning about it inefficiency and recommend using plain HTTP instead. It's very silly that zsyncmake allows to create it, but zsync can't then use it.

I'm not sure what this means. I replied to the original test-announce@ message. But Zimbra, which I use, shows just one level of threading, so maybe I'm missing something.