TC7 experiences

64 bit TC7 has been running omen.com for a while without
apparent problems.  I saved the old fstab so I didn't have to try
telling the installer to mount existing partitions.  IMO the requirement
for this hack should be corrected before final release.

An easily understood explanation on how to use firewall zones should be
included in the beta notes if not in the software.

The omen.com server fortunately does not have an Nvidia
video card, so Noveau's problems do not affect the server.

Noveau still fails on my office machine with a GT 460SE.
It seems to take longer than before but still crashes.
Since the Nvidia driver is easy to install the Noveau problems
do not affect me.  Hopefully  Noveau will be fixed before Linux
is changed in a way that prevents Nvidia from working.

I am currently running Xfce on my omen.com VNC desktop and MATE
on my office machine.  This combination helps me to run menu
commands etc. one one machine or the other with less confusion
as to whci machine is being commanded.

The current Xfce has a near cornucopia of tweeks.  Grouping
the lot under a "xfce settings" would reduce the learning curve.

After reading Torvalds' comments on desktops, I have surmised
that a desktop environment should be both fun and unobtrusive.
The trick is to keep these attributes from canceling each other out.

So as I see it the Cow needs two items of unobtanium:  an easy to use,
reliable installer that is a superset of previous installers, and a reliable
full featured display driver for Nvidia boards.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com