Re: removing the non booting kernels how do I troubleshoot them?

On Oct 18, 2012, at 11:29 AM, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I have installed the 3.6.1 and 3.6.2 kernels but they all fail at the same place.  They just don't boot.  I have yum erased them to have a booting kernel.  The only one that boots.
>
> I have lspci from machine in case if its useful.  Should I yum erase dracut/ and yum install it back?

If you're going to do testing, you're going to have to learn how to actually do testing. I'd do bugzilla searches for the kernel component, Fedora 18, and toshiba in the comment field and see if anything comes up. If not, prepare to file a bug. I'd also do another search against systemd and toshiba and see if anything comes up.

To file a bug you're going to need to get more information on exactly where and why the boot is stalling, and John's reference to debugging dracut problems is a good start. And journalctl should get you more information on exactly where the oops or panic occurred, if that's even what's happening. Be prepared to take photos of your screen if you can't dump text to a network or USB stick - no one can infer what problem you're having without more information.

Chris Murphy