Re: Partitioning criteria revision proposal

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:49 AM, Kamil Paral wrote:

> I don't like "custom partitioning" term.

Technically that screen in anaconda is called "Manual Partitioning". It's just that to get there you check a box that refers to "let me customize the partitioning…instead".

> we try to claim that there should an "easy mode" and an "advanced mode" and it should work like this and that... do we really want to enforce that? I would rather specify what needs to work, rather how.

Yes. I think QA is (or should be) in a good position to know how users typically get confused, and to help the anaconda team avoid situations that cause confusion. But how something should work level of specificity is UI domain, not release requirement domain.

> " The installer must be able to automatically create a functional partition layout using just the empty disk space if you provide it with a validly-formatted disk with sufficient empty space. Pre-existing partitions and data must remain untouched and the bootloader must be correctly installed. If there is not sufficient free space for installation, the installer must allow the user to selectively remove existing partitions."

The installer's automatic partitioning must create a functioning partition layout using disk free space, for disks with a valid mbr or gpt disklabel. Pre-existing partitions, and their contents, must remain unmodified, and the bootloader must be correctly installed. If the disk has insufficient free space, the installer must allow removal of user selected partitions.

Chris Murphy