Re: grubby is not updating grub.cfg when /boot is btrfs

On Oct 7, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2012, at 7:32 AM, John Reiser wrote:
>
>>> Installing : kernel-3.6.0-3.fc18.x86_64                                                              96/190
>>> grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template
>>>

>>> The new kernel is not added to the grub.cfg. This is grubby-8.20-1.fc18.x86_64.
>>
>> One cause of this is having /boot be a mounted filesystem
>> in one case but an ordinary directory (not-mounted-on) in another.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what this means, or what it would look like.
>
> In my case, /boot is a mounted btrfs subvolume. The mount/fstab basically looks like this:
>
> /dev/sda1     /           subvol:Fedora18/root
> /dev/sda1     /boot    subvol:Fedora18/boot
>
> GRUB2 figures this out, in that grub2-install knows to bake the prefix /fedora18/boot/ into core.img so it knows where to find vmlinuz and initramfs. And grub2-install adds rootflags=subvol=fedora18/root as a kernel parameter.
>
> So I'm not sure what part it's getting hung up on.

Can anyone tell me how I'd go about getting more information from grubby on what aspect of this it's getting hung up on? I'd like to file a bug, but don't have much to go on other than I'm getting this fatal error when /boot is on btrfs.

Currently anaconda will put home and root on their own btrfs subvols, while boot goes on ext4. But it's reasonable that boot goes either in a boot subvol, or it goes in /boot in the root subvol.  Either way, it's in a subvol and it appears grubby fails.

Chris Murphy