Re: Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 1 (TC1) Available Now!

On Oct 4, 2012, at 5:49 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I think it's supposed to default to UTC, but I'm not 100% sure. Unless
> you did a UEFI install? I read some rumblings that in the UEFI spec,
> system clock is _required_ to run on local time, not UTC. Which seems
> batshit crazy, but hey.

How it's described is batshit, but just prior to aneurism, it seems the time out string includes "current local time" plus a timezone offset. You don't get one without the other, so regardless it's unambiguous what the time data returned is.

So what probably should happen on UEFI machines is regardless of OS, you should boot with the proper time *and* timezone set, even if you booted from a LiveCD. And the installer arguably shouldn't need to ask, or if it does ask what your timezone is, it would default to the timezone set in the firmware.

I don't see why it can't be UTC with no timezone offset however, because ultimately "local" is subjective. I myself tend to routinely travel to Titan, yes the moon, so UTC is exceptionally local.

Chris Murphy