Re: Release criteria proposal: partitioning (alpha and beta)

On 10/01/2012 11:53 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
I think it's a good design goal to get to, eventually, but I don't think it should be a release requirement for F18.
Disk partitioning resembles open heart surgery. The patient suffers when not done well.

Some software problems do not appear until Linux is used on a "production" system. My server has a large number of existing partitions. It also has a few unused partitions so I can fall back to a working system if installation of a new release fails to yield a satisfactory result. This came in very handy when I wasn't able to get F17 to do the
things I needed.

I don't need much in the way of custom partitioning. Make fdisk and parted available from Anaconda's Ctrl-Alt-F2 shell, then tell Anaconda where to install Linux. Not
elegant but workable and reasonably safe.

If Fedora doesn't have good support for custom partitioning people like me will want to jump to a distribution that does have good support for custom partitioning. And
we will be debugging Ubuntu, Suse, etc. and not Fedora.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com