Re: Release criteria proposal: partitioning (alpha and beta)

On Oct 1, 2012, at 3:04 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> On 10/01/2012 06:38 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> I'm very hesitant to expand release requirements related to anaconda for F18.
>
> Should it not be sufficient for us to have our release criteria be on par what other os installers ( Like Windows or OS-X ) are capable of doing?

Not necessarily.

I don't know what's involved in getting anaconda to do a "point and shoot" installation to a destination of my choice (a partition, a volume, or a mount point). Until I do, I would not expand the release requirements until I know the consequences.

Windows and Mac OS X installers are very rudimentary when it comes to partitioning; the OS X installer doesn't even provide a UI for partitioning or volume formatting. It's purely point and shoot, to a single partition. Would it be nice to have that in Fedora's installer? I think it might be nice, but not a requirement, because there probably are quite a few users who will designate a disk or partition for Fedora, and should be able to simply point at that and have the Fedora installer slice it up into whatever additional partitions are needed. I don't think, by default, disclosure is needed either textually or visually, what is about to be done with that partition.

Chris Murphy