Re: systemd help was: Re: Rawhide rc.local fails to start

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 16:56 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 12:39 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > [Unit]
> > Description=Fix keymap on disaply start
> > DefaultDependencies=no
> > After=local-fs.target sysinit.target display-manager.service
> >
> > [Service]
> > Type=oneshot
> > ExecStart=/usr/bin/setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb
> >
> > [Install]
> > WantedBy=graphical.target
>
> Note that there is no display-manager.service anymore [1] so you will
> have to order it after the relevant dm.service instead or try for example...

There was never a display-manager.service; there was a prefdm.service.
There is no prefdm.service in F18. However, there actually *is* a
display-manager.service now: all the DMs - gdm.service, kdm.service,
lxdm.service, lightdm.service - have display-manager.service as an
Alias.

The question of exactly how Aliases are treated for dependency
resolution and ordering seems to be an open one, but my empirical
testing with firstboot.service indicates that something like 'After:
display-manager.service' will actually do what's desired in this case:
whatever service is 'providing' display-manager.service will start up
before a service which specifies 'After: display-manager.service'. So
you can just use 'After: display-manager.service' to ensure your service
starts after the desktop, no matter what DM happens to be in use. More
testing might prove me wrong, of course.

It'd be good if Lennart could clarify whether this is actually by design
or just luck, and codify the intended behaviour in the documentation, so
people know what to expect.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey